Saturday, May 12, 2007

Taking the Case

I met with a potential client a few days ago regarding a personal injury accident that had happened nearly 3 years prior. In fact when I met him he was 9 days from expiration of the statute of limitations. After meeting the gentlemen, I had to declined to accept the case. Normally, I would not meet this close to an expiration of the limitations. However, my office always accommodates when a former client referrs a friend or family member as a matter of policy. Prior to finishing the meeting I had the potential client execute a notice of limitations to be sure he acknowledged the time frames for filing suit and the consequences of not filing suit. I declined the case not so much due to the limitations period, which was a significant issue, but also due to the intensity of his demeanor in proclaiming his damages. It was a very odd contradiction that a person would wait 3 years post accident with no more then soft tissue injury and now be outraged at the damage he suffered. Not that he was not truthful. In any event, I came upon a list of the difficult cases many personal injury attorney look at twice before accepting. Red/Light Green/Light cases, lane change cases, slip and fall cases, delayed treatment cases, client ticketed cases, low property damage cases, uninsured vehicle cases, and pending personal injury cases from prior accidents.

No comments: